MDOT advises motorists to stay off icy roads
The Mississippi Dept. of Transportation advises drivers to stay off roads where ice is present today. That includes Lincoln County.
With temperatures below freezing for most of today, icy conditions will remain. The area remains under a hard freeze warning until noon Sunday.
Multiple accidents were reported along I-55 Friday, including a jackknifed trailer that blocked both northbound lanes near Wesson.
Ice has been reported in the following counties: Adams, Alcorn, Benton, Claiborne, Clarke, Copiah, DeSoto, Franklin, Hinds, Holmes, Humphreys, Issaquena, Jasper, Jefferson, Kemper, Lafayette, Lauderdale, Leake, Lincoln, Madison, Marshall, Montgomery, Neshoba, Newton, Noxubee, Panola, Prentiss, Quitman, Rankin, Simpson, Scott, Sharkey, Sunflower, Tate, Tippah, Tishomingo, Tunica, Warren, Washington, Winston and Yazoo.
If you have to travel, MDOT offers these winter weather driving tips:
- buckle up for safety;
- slow down, especially when driving in winter weather conditions;
- allow more space between your vehicle and the vehicle in front of you;
- brake early to allow plenty of time to stop;
- brake gently to avoid skidding and never slam on the brakes;
- turn on lights to be more visible to other motorists;
- do not use cruise control or overdrive on icy roads;
- stay alert and look farther ahead in traffic than you normally do; and
- drive safely.