Journey to Mars opens at fair — Spring Fest opens Wednesday at Lincoln Civic Center, concludes Sunday
A journey to Mars can be yours for the price of an armband.
The ride is new to Brookhaven’s Mississippi Spring Fest and Fair that opens Wednesday at Lincoln Civic Center.
“It brings you up about 100 or so feet in the air and drops you back to Earth,” said Guy Mitchell, a co-owner and one of the sons of Mitchell Brothers and Sons Amusements. “It’s pretty neat. It’s a thrill-seeker ride for all ages.”
Mitchell Brothers is also bringing back the Inversion 360. This ride spins a dozen people per cycle in a complete 360-degree loop while the seats rotate around the center.
For those less daring, the midway will include classic rides like the Ferris wheel, star flyer and swings.
Armbands allowing unlimited rides will be sold. Prices change based on the night, said Quinn Jordan, director of the Lincoln Civic Center.
Fair hours and armband prices are:
• Wednesday: Youth night. Midway open 4:30-10 p.m. Armbands are $15.
• Thursday: Midway open 4:30-10 p.m. Armbands are $20.
• Friday: FARMtastic Day at the Farm. Midway open 4:30-10:30 p.m. Armbands are $25.
• Saturday: Military Day. Springfest Beauty Pageant at 11 a.m. Midway open from 1-4 p.m. with $15 armbands in honor of military and special service members. Armbands are $25 from 4-10 p.m.
• Sunday: Midway open from 1-8 p.m. Armbands are $15.
Besides the midway, Mitchell Brothers is also bringing the familiar fair favorites like corn dogs, funnel cakes, fried Oreos, Italian sausages, chicken and shrimp on a sticks, candy apples, cotton candy, popcorn, burgers and fries. K&B Seafood will be boiling crawfish nightly and The Doll’s House will have a booth as well.
Jordan said the fair was moved up a bit to avoid state testing and Mother’s Day, both in May.
It also makes for cooler temperatures.
“It’s good fair weather,” he said.