COVID-19 Update: Statewide one-day totals remain above 1,500
Wednesday, the Mississippi State Department of Health reported 1,547 new cases of COVID-19 in the state and 34 new deaths.
Though not as high as the record number of 1,635 on Tuesday, these new cases continue to reflect the increased spread of the novel coronavirus in the state.
One of these new cases was in Lincoln County, bringing the county’s total to 622 cases and 37 total deaths.
There were 161 confirmed outbreaks in long term care facilities Wednesday, up from Tuesday’s 154. Lincoln County’s LTC cases remain at 115 and 27 deaths.
The state’s total number of cases is now 47,071 and 1,423 deaths. The number of positive cases represents 11.7% of the 402,474 persons who have had PCR tests — tests to determine active infection. An additional 15,210 have been tested for antibodies, to determine if they were infected in the past and not currently suffering infection.
An estimated 30,315 people are presumed to have recovered from the virus. This number is updated weekly, and is expected to be updated Saturday. A person is presumed recovered if it has been 14 days or more since the case tested positive and they were not hospitalized, or it has been 21 days or more since the case tested positive and the person was hospitalized.
In the United States, 3.882 million cases have been reported, with 63,028 new cases reported Wednesday. The total number of COVID-19-related deaths now stands at 141,677, with 1,047 new deaths reported Wednesday.
As of the end of the day Tuesday, MSDH reported that 18.1% (163) of the state’s total 902 intensive care unit beds were available. Of the remaining 81.9%, 32.5% (293) were occupied by COVID-19 cases and 49.4% (446) were occupied by patients with non-COVID-related illness.